“Holi hai…” Festival of colours is around the corner. Neighbourhood shops have started stocking synthetic and herbal colours, water balloons and other water sprinkling toys and apparatus. Malls in cities are also planning to attract customers by designing colour games, contest and prizes. After-all, holi is going to be a perfect holiday for kids.
Most of us, as adults, are aware that we should be very careful while using colours during holi. At the same time, it is necessary that we also teach our kids on ‘how to celebrate holi’.
Television, newspapers and radios often announce about the disadvantage of using synthetic colours during Holi and ask to celebrate Holi in a safe manner. Are you giving heed to the advices of media? Can our young kids learn from the media? We as parents and elders must help our kids learn about the celebration and how to celebrate in a joyous and safe manner.
Following points will guide you on how to celebrate holi with kids:
• Where and how: Young kids cannot decide on things like ‘where to celebrate and with whom?’ You should ensure that you are by their side when they are playing with colors. The best thing can be that you tell a story to your kid on ‘why do we celebrate holi’. There is lot of information about Holi available on the internet on the topic of ‘holi celebration’. Telling a story to your child will make him/ her aware about the celebration.
• Beware of pets: It can be risky, if your kid splashes/ sprinkles coloured water on dogs and cats. The pets may take revenge. So, instruct your child not to target the pets with water sprinklers. Inform your child about the consequences.
• Choosing colours: As a parent, you must be aware, these days colours available in the market have many harmful chemicals mixed in it. For young kids, it is not safe to celebrate holi with these chemically strong colours. It can be very sensitive on child’s tender skin. You can make some natural colour at home or buy some herbal colours from market
• Going outside: It is suggested that kid shouldn’t go outside of their homes during Holi. Strangers may splash colours on your child which might have negative impacts. If, your child asks you to take him/ her outside of home, escort to nearest park or to your neighbours and let him celebrate with his friends.
As you plan to celebrate Holi, tell us about your ideas or tips on ‘how to help kids enjoy the festival of colours at home?’ Do you support the idea of taking your child outside of home during Holi?
New session of Primary schools is starting soon. Many schools in Navi Mumbai have declared their school admission results; others will also do it by the end of February. You as a parent must be very excited and also tensed. You must be remembering the days when you first went to school, cried a lot when your parents left you alone and then a caring teacher helped you wipe your tears until you settled yourself in the classroom.
As you enthusiastically prepare for your child’s first day in school; this checklist will inform and guide you in your journey towards making your kid’s first day in school a joyous experience for you and your child as well.
Here we go…
- Familiarize your child about school before the first day. Tell them story about ‘what school is like’. Highlight on things like ‘how wonderful it is to be at school’, ‘making new friends’, ‘drawing and colouring’ and ‘singing and dancing’.
- In order to familiarize the school setting to your child prior to the first day, take him/ her to the school and let him/ her spend some time there.
- Get a proper tiffin box, water bottle and stationery.
- Check out and note down the daily schedule of the school.
- Calculate school distance and time required to travel; this will help your child to be at school in time and also saving you time.
- Check out the school bus schedule and decide your preparation accordingly.
- Make a plan for how you are going to send your child to school. Accompany him or her to school on the school bus the first day.
- Ensure that you have kept your home and work contact numbers in his backpack.
- Introduce yourself to at least one teacher of your child.
- Mention about allergies (if any) of the child to the class teacher and also fill the emergency contact form.
We wish that the first day in school will help your child experience the beautiful beginning of ‘learning’ journey.
Nursery admissions season is here and it’s here with something more than just admissions. The ‘point system’, a point based admission process is on the verge of extinction and ‘lottery system’ is seen as an alternative. There is hue and cry from Parents and private schools at large. They are claiming that the change in system of nursery admission will make the admissions more complex. It was in 2011 that ‘point system’ was introduced and child scored points based on various parameters one of which is the distance of the school from child’s residence. 20-40% points were awarded on the basis of distance i.e., preference will be given to a child who lives near to the school in which he is getting admitted.
As the Delhi High court has halted the admission process for the 2013-14 academic sessions, private schools as well as parents are going to suffer. Many city schools in New Delhi had already started the admission process and many were in the process of verifying documents of applicants. At the same time many parents are sad because they were confident about their child’s admission based on “point system” admission process and now are in dilemma about their child’s admission.
Some Simple Yet Effective Fancy Dress Ideas for All
Yes the whole year will fall short if we take a look at the days we have to dress up for some occasion or the other. Adults and kids alike have to dress up for all kind of events. But the most loved one by all is the fancy dress event! Indian fancy dress events are very colorful and enjoyable at various occasions.
A fancy dress event primarily needs ideas, which should be unique, easy and kid friendly. Next comes the costume which needs to be assembled for that particular idea. Accessories follow next. All this makes it very interesting for the kids who love fancy dress and start preparing well in advance. The fancy dress costumes for kids in India can be fun as the country has diverse culture and tradition that come with diverse costumes and clothes to choose from.
Let us check out some fancy dress ideas for kids. But before we begin, it is very important to ask the kid if he/she is interesting in that particular role or the idea. If they do not like it, they won’t perform. So ensure that your idea is loved by the kids.
1. Go green: yes green is the color of modern world and your kid will learn to protect the earth with the message. Dress them up like a tree, flower or plant, which can be fun. The headpiece can be made of flowers and the body with brown paper or cardboard. Flowers can be made with different colors.
2. Fruit theme: tiny tots look cute in a fruit costume. It may be a banana, apple, pineapple etc. Tiny kids get lots of praises for this. The whole body can be made with paper and cardboard or even cloth and the headpiece with a leaf.
3. Profession: older kids can dress up like a doctor, businessman, astronaut, sweeper, hawker, fish seller, vegetable seller, etc. One can get costumes from the shops that sell or rent clothes for fancy dress competitions.
4. Regional costumes: India has several states that have different costumes. These regional costumes can become the fancy dress costumes for kids.
5. Role play: kids will love to play Superman, Tarzan, and Batman and enact like them. Some other role play may include cricketer, soldier, pirate, beggar, ghost, joker, prince or princess, angle etc. Kids will love to dress up like Jawaharlal Nehru, Gandhiji, Shivaji Maharaj, Mother Teresa and Mogul kings.
6. Animals or birds or cartoon: all kids love animals, therefore, one can dress up like a cat, butterfly, peacock, zebra, crow, or Mickey mouse, mermaid, Tweety etc.
7. God and Goddesses: one can easily dress up like Lord Ram, Lord Krishna, Lord Mahadev, Lord Ganesh or Goddess Laxmi, Parvati, Durga, Kalimata etc. They can also use the accessories like the Gods hold in the hands like flute for Lord Krishna, bow and arrow for Lord Ram, neck accessories for Lord Mahadev and other accessories.
Kid’s fancy dress ideas are plenty and they look very attractive and cute. You have to get unique ideas that are inspirational that can be used in daily life. Messages should be given verbally or written on a board so that children take it to the stage with them.
You can make the experience educative and fun for your kid and others as well.
Ideas for Packing Lunch for Kids – Daycare / School Goers
With a fast paced and hectic life that people have adopted, it seems very difficult to pay attention towards the health and food of the kids who remain out of their homes for seven to eight hours.
It is must for every parent to watch what their children eat while they are out of their homes. As kids are very fussy over food, they need to be given something very interesting and healthy everyday in their lunch boxes. Although children do not understand the need for healthy foods, it is the parent’s way of providing them great recipes for kid’s lunch box that make them healthy and fit.
Food is the basic necessity in the growing years and this is the age when kids don’t like most of the foods that we provide them. That is why it becomes difficult and sometimes very stressful to give the children healthy foods for the lunch box. However, there are ways that many mothers and fathers have come out with.
Healthy lunch box
Healthy snacks recipe for kids can comprise of cereals, pulses, vegetables and fruits that can be prepared the way your children like it. Simple changes like adding cheese, ketchups and other interesting sauces to the vegetables can make a very interesting lunch box. You can also add fruits (which are hated by kids) to the lunch box by preparing custard, fruit pudding, or cook them with sugar and cream or add it to yogurt.
What should be avoided?
Kids don’t like the same food stuff that mom’s give in their lunch boxes, which makes it complicated as moms too have a job to go to and the time is less. A little preparation a night earlier can make a big difference. Biscuits, bread, cakes or pastries should be avoided in the tiffin boxes. These are not healthy although they are cheap and can be bought easily. They do not contain nutrients and children simply become fat and increase their calorie intake.
Although it is easy to preach about good food, it is not so easy considering the likes and dislikes of the children. Yet there are a few foods that children love which can be prepared in various ways so that the child eats it and is happy about it. Most of the children love pancakes, which can be made with mixed flour of different cereals and by adding cooked vegetables of their choice and their favorite tomato sauce or ketchups.
Kids tiffin recipe can also include sandwiches which are made of cereals or mixed cereals. Although it is not recommended for daily lunch, it can be a great change for children. You can add cheese, mayonnaise, butter and different vegetables cut into very thin slices so that children do not get irritated. You can also make egg sandwich or chicken sandwich as well. Indian food has a lot of variety and with little innovation; lots can be done within no time.
So what your picky eater would love is something that he loves. But a lunch box should contain everything. Make the food attractive by arranging food in an attractive manner, with lots of color and decoration. Salads should be placed in a very attractive manner.
These days most parents are looking out for excellent educational institutes for their children. All they want is to have their child to mould well both in curricular as well as co-curricular activities. Navi Mumbai, known as one of the largest planned cities in the country vouches for best educational institutes.
If we run through the Navi Mumbai schools list, you can come across some of the best schools, which are not just doing well in the city alone but are set up in different parts of the country as well. Delhi public school (DPS) nestled in Nerul, Navi Mumbai offers one of the best educational platforms for the child. The school takes care of the child’s holistic development, and offers studies and fun. On the same lines, you will find DAV Public School, a school that lives up to its reputation of meeting the global standards and offering an integrated approach.
The best schools in Navi Mumbai are using high-end teaching methodologies that help the students enjoy their learning experience. By bringing innovative teaching methods, schools are able to cater to all the needs of the students, which will help them in developing and enhancing their overall personality. DAV International School, Harmony International School and Sanjivani International School offer a child centric learning environment. They have created a place that is safe for students and lets them learn with fun activities.
“Start it early”, is what the experts have to tell the parents when it comes to educating their kids on sex. Kids have a natural curiosity about the changes in their bodies while they are growing. Once they are six years old, they tend to take a keen interest in the opposite sex. Parents should be open to discuss about sex with their kids at this age. Starting the topic early can help you to overcome many embarrassing questions. Open communication about sex education helps and younger kids open up to parents and ask parents about their doubts regarding sex.
Sex education at home
Home is the most secured place for kids, and parents are the most loved persons. They believe and respect them and that is why it would be right for kids to get the sex education from the home itself. Instead of getting knowledge from an unknown person, or someone the child does not trust, the child should be educated by the parents as it is a sensitive topic.
Parents find it embarrassing or difficult to talk to their kids about sex. Although it is true and awkward to most of the parents, it is necessary too. Remember, your child is growing and might get wrong information from the sources like the schoolyard or the TV, where fantasy is projected that imbibe wrong impressions on an impressionable mind. With the increasing crime rate and rising wrong doings of kids, a need for sex education among growing kids has been felt in all the levels of society.